The most popular poker variations to play online
The birth of the most famous card game in international casinos has mysterious origins, but its success has made it become followed and appreciated almost at the level of a sport discipline.
The tournaments of Poker are very crowded, especially in the most famous variants such as the Texas Hold'em and Omaha, but for those wishing to try something different, the possibilities are truly manifold. Let's see the main ones together.
1. Texas Hold'em
Also known as Texas hold 'em, this variation of poker falls into the category of community card games and is the most widely played in the world. In theory, it allows for up to twenty-two players to compete, but usually the number ranges from two to ten. Each player is dealt two cards, which, along with the five community cards (three Flop, the Turn, and the River), will form the hand.
This type of poker, much appreciated by players from all over the world, was born from Texas Hold'em and, in principle, entirely incorporates its basic rules . There are two main differences: each participant has four personal cards, not two, and to score points it is necessary to use two of these, therefore only three of the community cards.
3. 7-Card Stud
Before Texas Hold'em poker took over, stud poker was the most popular variant. This type of game is completely different from the two already seen, as to form the best hand, it is necessary to rely only on individual cards, some of which remain face down while others are shown to opponents. In the various stages of the game, 7 cards are dealt, hence the name.
4. 5-Card Draw
Also known as "poker," it is the poker variant with which all players start, usually used by those who enjoy playing with friends, but it is not taken into much consideration at a professional level, or in general in casinos. Each player has their own hand of cards, which they keep hidden from others, and there is only one draw, which makes the game much more exciting.
5. 3-Card Poker
In this variant of poker, the objective changes and becomes to beat the dealer by showing a better hand, composed of only three cards. It is a highly appreciated type in casinos, both virtual and physical, because it allows for quick but interesting games.
6. Caribbean Stud Poker
In a similar way, this type of poker also works, as the rules require players to challenge the dealer. Another peculiarity is the presence of a progressive jackpot, which increases based on the bets made.
7. Ultimate Texas Hold'em
The main difference that distinguishes this variant from standard Texas Hold'em is, again, the fact that players are challenging the dealer. Another characteristic is the ability to freely decide how much to bet while the hand is in progress, not just at the beginning.
This type of poker is a variation of 7-Card Stud, but its objective is to form a combination of five cards with the lowest score using the seven cards dealt, three of which are face down and four are face up.
9. Short Deck Poker
It is a fairly recent variant whose peculiarity is the deck, because it is composed of only 36 cards. In fact, all the numbers from 2 to 5 are removed from the deck, and although the Ace remains the card with the highest value, it can be used to build the lowest straights: A-6-7-8-9.
Did you know that… ?
It is said that the birth of poker dates back to the 16th century, with the Persian game called "As Nas", but the most well-known version is of French inspiration. Colonists introduced it to America in the early 1800s, and from there, it expanded, giving rise to countless variations with unique rules and features.
Which version of poker to choose
If you have never played poker, except for the Christmas game with friends, and you are wondering how to choose among the many possibilities, then know that there are some factors you can consider in making this choice.
Poker variants with the lowest house edge
The margin of the house, house edge, is nothing more than the greater probability that the house has to win compared to the players. In other words, it is a ratio between the actual probabilities and the number of times the individual bet is paid after a win. Let's see some examples:
|Poker variant||House edge|
|Caribbean Stud Poker||5,22%|
|Pai Gow Poker||2,5%|
|Ultimate Texas Hold'em||2,19%|
The poker variants with the highest payouts
If you want to play poker because you want to win big, then we recommend you try one of these options:
- Short Deck – the lower number of cards makes this game much more thrilling and, drastically reducing the chances of winning, increases the size of the prize itself;
- Pot Limit Omaha – with a much more fun game than the classic Texas poker, this version is just as popular and allows you to make melds more frequently;
- No Limit Texas Hold'em – played by all professionals, it allows you to easily find active games and, therefore, to play consistently and collect really interesting sums;
- Stud – the various versions of this type of poker are very popular, which is why it is easy to find other players to challenge.
The best variants to try in a new casino
For newcomers eager to start a career in the world of poker, as seen, the choices are truly numerous, so much so that there are dozens of different variants in circulation. Before diving into complicated versions of poker usually chosen by professional players, it is better to start slowly. For example, with:
- 5-Card Draw – as already mentioned, it is the most played poker variant in homes, above all for its ease of learning;
- Texas Hold'em - we've named it on every list, but it's really the most common type of poker in the world, because it's easy to learn and even more immediate to improve;
- Omaha – in different variations (Hi and Hi-Lo), this variant is so similar to Texas poker that once you learn one, the other is assimilated very quickly.
Types of poker for professionals
If you are not a newcomer at all, the best option available to you, to have fun and try to win as much as possible, is represented by professional poker tournaments. These usually take place live, but in recent years there has been a real boom also regarding online tournaments. In this case too, there are several possibilities, although most tournaments involve playing Texas Hold'em, Omaha, 7-Card Stud, and Razz.
- Sit'n'go - translated into English as "sit and go", these are tournaments that start when the table is filled with the designated number of participants, who start with the same number of chips. These are very fast tournaments with prizes distributed based on a ranking, not the number of chips purchased.
- Multi-table tournaments - it is the version that has gained the most popularity, both online and in live tournaments, and it sees the game move to various tables as the number of participants decreases. The winner is determined at the final table.
Each tournament manages the purchase of chips in a different way:
- Re-buy – allows you to buy more chips once finished;
- Freezeout – it is the most common methodology, and provides for the player to be excluded once the chips have run out.
Variations to avoid
So far we have mostly talked about the most common variants, which over time have gained greater consensus among enthusiasts worldwide. However, there are types of poker that are truly designed only for the sharpest minds or for those who simply want to aim high, risking everything. Let's see some of them.
- H.O.R.S.E. - the name is a combination of several variants (Texas Hold'em, Omaha, Razz, Stud, and Eight-or-Better), which already explains why this type of poker is really, really complicated. During the game, hands are played in rotation, following different sets of rules, so it requires a high level of experience and skill.
- Omaha 8 or Better – follows the same basic rules as Omaha, but all cards must be lower than 8 to win;
- Deuce-to-Seven Triple Draw – in this variant the victory goes to the player who rolls the lowest point.
Identify your specialty before sitting down at the table
We have seen how wide and varied is the range of poker variants that you can find by choosing the offer of a Online casino .
Your choice should be based on the actual odds of winning for each type if you are playing against the house, and not against other real players.
In the latter case, in fact, your experience and skills will count above all, as well as, of course, a good component of luck.
Don't make the mistake of sitting down at the first table you meet, but evaluate first your knowledge, your budget and always try to exploit strategies suitable and outlined, which can also vary during the same game.
In summary, identify your specialty: there are those who excel in sit & go, those who are more comfortable in managing a long tournament, those who prefer Texas Hold'em, and those who prefer Omaha. But this doesn't mean that in the future you couldn't become an ace in every field.