Your guide to online poker
Find out everything there is to know about the game of casino poker (in its various forms) with in-depth guides written by our editorial team.
You can learn more about each of the topics we cover on this page by clicking on the following links:
Free Online Poker
Texas hold'em poker
Poker Rules, Odds, Payouts
Basic and Advanced Poker Strategies
What is the best online poker site?
In Italy there are really manyOnline casino which boast a very wide range of games, including online poker.
As we will see shortly in our guide, online virtual poker is mainly distinguished from the live version, that is, the one with a flesh-and-blood dealer who manages the table in front of a camera, as the cards and the results of the rounds are decided by a computer (RNG software).
Scroll down to the bottom of the page to find out more, or use our table of contents to immediately jump to the topic that interests you most!
In the meantime, if you are looking for some list of the best online poker sites, we have already created a small selection for you.
Is online poker legal?
Online poker is legal, indeed, it is one of the most popular casino games among the various gaming rooms.
We of GaymerX we always advise readers to use an online gaming platform that has obtained an operating license from the Customs and Monopolies Agency (Legal) , the body that regulates gambling and whose logo on the site guarantees the presence of a safe and reliable environment in which to play.
Is online poker rigged?
If you choose to play at an Legal licensed online casino, then you can worry less about their poker games being rigged.
These operators cooperate with equally regulated developers and providers, whose RNG software are frequently checked both by the provider and by independent authorities and auditors.
This means that the games have integrated a microchip that randomly generates any card from a deck of 52 cards. And there is no way that this program can be tampered with to intentionally give weak hands.
As for i live poker games , instead, these are managed with a real deck of cards and the cards are distributed in real time by multiple cameras pointed towards the table: players can observe every move of the dealer and can also be certain that there is no manipulation if they play with legitimate titles. Providers of the caliber of evolution or Playtech .
And finally, if you choose to play in one of recommended casinos at GaymerX, you will be dealing with a portal that has been operating internationally for many years, whose reputation is not in question.
Why play poker in an online casino?
Playing poker in the traditional way, with other players sitting next to you, is much easier than playing online. The virtual environment makes it impossible to evaluate your opponents and it is impossible to use strategies like bluffing.
We also have to point out that in most cases, when playing online games, it is played against the house.
That said, there are a few distinct advantages of real money online poker that are worth listing.
|Online poker||Land-based casino poker|
|Play from home||✔||✖|
- You can play from home
You cannot underestimate the convenience of being able to play poker online with real money comfortably from your own home or with your own mobile phone. All you need is a stable internet connection to have access to a wide variety of games and... variants of online poker .
Plus, when it comes to virtual poker and other virtual tables, you can play any time of the day or night!
- You can get bonuses
Most online casinos will offer you a Welcome Bonus on your first deposits, which you can take advantage of on its range of virtual poker games or live poker tables.
Online casinos often have poker-focused events on a regular basis, including tournaments or special promotions.
- A unique experience
Live tables in particular offer a casino experience like no other available online. Normally, you play against the dealer and not against other players, but it is still a very enjoyable and authentic experience.
Live poker tournaments are open to practically everyone, thanks to their low buy-ins. These tournaments follow the schedule of online poker rooms with real money.
Differences between virtual online poker and live poker
Now let's see the differences between live poker and virtual poker with RNG software.
|Live poker||RNG virtual poker|
|Croupier on webcam||No croupier visible or only in virtual version|
|Interaction between dealers and players via live chat||Play solo or with friends|
|The outcome is determined by live shuffled cards||The cards are dealt by computer|
|Demo mode is not available||Demo mode is available|
The live casino poker This is a version of the game broadcast live from a provider's studio. This version involves a live dealer, who sits at a real poker table and deals the cards in real time.
In this case the various players play simultaneously against the bank, using the same hand (in fact, many times there are unlimited seats). Some of the more famous tables are:
- Live 3 Card Poker
- Live Ultimate Texas Hold'em
- Live Caribbean Stud Poker
Poker rooms or poker rooms have been a staple of online casinos since the beginning, only now they no longer require the download of bulky software to play. In this case, you are playing against many other players online.
Some of the more popular games are:
- Sit & Go tournaments
- SNAP Poker
- BLAST Poker
Virtual online poker games (video poker)
Anyone who plays virtual online poker faces a computer program, called RNG (Random Number Generator), which is solely and directly responsible for the random extraction of cards.
This feature makes online video poker a game available 24/7, just like a slot machine. Players can also choose between the play money version or the real money version. Some examples of virtual online poker games (RNG):
- Pai Gow Poker
- Caribbean Poker
- Ride'em Poker
- Triple Edge Poker
- Oasis Poker
- Jacks or Better
How to play online poker with bonuses
Today it is worth starting to play live poker because there are many bonuses and promotions available . Check the top of this page for a list of the latest!
Below is a quick step-by-step guide to getting started playing online poker:
- Find your favorite casino by reading our reviews
- Sign up and claim any available welcome bonus
- Make a deposit
- Go to the casino category
- Choose your favorite table and start the game
Did you know that…?
Evolution has added progressive jackpots to some of its live dealer poker tables. For example, the Texas Hold'em Bonus Poker available at Poker Stars Casino features a bonus bet, the First Five Jackpot, which starts at a $50,000 suit and continues to increase until a player hits a Royal Flush.
3 things to know before playing online poker for real money
Here are three useful tips to improve your game when playing online poker for real money:
1. Master the rules and hands of poker
The goal of poker is simple: to have the most valuable hand.
But at the same time it must be taken into account that there is a vast glossary that can intimidate the latest arrivals. Here, we will do our best to introduce you to poker simply and directly.
Poker is played with a standard deck of 52 cards. Players will receive 2 or more cards each, and 5 cards will be distributed in the center (called community cards). The objective of the game is to create the best hand by combining 5 cards.
In the next section we have prepared an overview of the poker rules , but you must keep in mind that these rules can be different depending on the online variant you choose to play.
And if you are particularly interested in playing Texas Hold'em , we have the video for you here:
The 5 best hands in poker
- Royal Flush (Royal Flush) – This hand consists of the 5 highest cards of a single suit. For example: A,K,Q,J,10 of hearts.
- Straight Flush (Straight Flush) – 5 cards belonging to the same suit in sequence, e.g. 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9 of hearts.
- Poker (Four of a Kind) – The hand consists of 4 cards of the same rank.
- Full (Full House) – The hand consists of three of a kind and a pair.
- Color (Flush) – The 5 cards in the hand have the same suit.
2. Learn basic poker terms and strategies
While the rules of poker are easy enough to understand, it still takes a lot of practice before developing a solid strategy that will help you win more at poker.
To get a general idea about the most common strategies in poker , we've compiled a quick rundown of them below.
The most common poker strategies
- Bluff - A player can choose to bluff in poker when they know they don't have the best hand. In this case, the player can raise to make their opponents fold, thus getting rid of opponents with a better hand!
- Fold - This is essentially the decision to not see the bet or raise, forfeit one's cards, and give up the current hand's pot. Players can no longer win or play during the current hand when they decide to fold.
- Limp – This is when you make as small a bet as possible to stay in the game. This is usually not a good move.
- Flop / Preflop – The second round of betting is called the flop. Anything that happens before is called pre-flop.
- Probability - Like in any casino game, probabilities represent your chances of winning. Your probabilities vary depending on the size of the pot, but they can also be calculated if you know the number of hidden cards, the cards you need to win the hand, and how much you can win. It is then up to you to decide whether to bet.
3. Choose the best online poker games for you
There are many variations of poker , but obviously not all of them are right for you.
Of the two main categories, live poker, and therefore non-virtual, is often considered a more authentic version of the classic game: it is broadcast live from a provider's studio and involves a real-life dealer, who sits at a real poker table and deals the cards in real time.
It is important to keep in mind that most con poker variations are played between the player and the dealer/house, so usually users are not playing against each other.
Players can place their bets through the on-screen digital interface. And, in the case of the live versions, they can also interact with the dealer.
How to improve your gameplay
There are a few things you can do to have a better chance of winning at the poker table:
- Know when to stop. Playing poker is supposed to be fun. The moment it stops being a fun experience, you should stop playing . And that goes for all casino games.
- Limit aggressive hands. Sometimes less experienced players tend to play too cautiously, hoping to stay in the game longer, or too aggressively, trying to force every hand. The best approach is instead to learn which hands to play and what to bet on.
- Be patient. Playing aggressively doesn't mean wasting all your chips on every hand. In truth, with experience, you will realize that the vast majority of hands are not even worth playing.
- Know your opponent. A rule that always applies to live games: if you can't identify a weak opponent at your table, then it's probably you. In that case, it might be more advantageous for you (and for your) bankroll "provare un altro gioco o tornare a quel tavolo più tardi, quando sarai più esperto." "Try another game or come back to that table later, when you are more experienced."
- Practice for free. One of the most overlooked features of online casinos is the demo mode. In the case of poker, you can play free virtual poker and video poker in for fun mode, to hone your skills!
- Learn from Twitch streams. Poker has found a perfect natural habitat on Twitch. The streaming platform can count on a lot of players among its subscribers who provide everything, from instruction to simple entertainment.
Play online poker on mobile
Online poker has benefited enormously from the spread of smartphones and the availability of internet bandwidth for mobile devices.
Thanks to the various mobile casinos available , enjoying the fun of a poker session in high definition is now a possibility within everyone's reach.
And despite the limited phone screen real estate, native apps help deliver a full gaming experience.
Usually you can find the app of your favorite casino by searching in the Play Store or the App Store, if not directly on the operator's website. Many online Legal casinos have native apps that support poker or even dedicated apps exclusively for the Poker lobby.
In this guide we have listed the essential and preparatory information to start playing online poker, and above all, to understand where to play.
Of course, choosing a reputable casino is of paramount importance in your poker adventure and this is where our reviews can help.
By reading them, you will be able to look into the customer service options before signing up and find good bonuses that you can take advantage of at the online poker tables.
Like many things in life, a common sense approach to online casino games will save you future headaches: if something sounds too good to be true, then it probably is.
For more poker guides, browse our portal gaymerx.com and continue your learning journey!